Not a fan of raw sauerkraut? Or just looking to change things up? Check out this simple recipe for fermented carrots, your gut will thank you!
- 4 cups of carrots, shredded (you can use a food processor like I did, though I would not recommend it, the end result is too fine)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp whey (can be omitted and replaced with 2 additional tsp of sea salt)
- In a large mixing bowl combine ingredients and squeeze with your hands to release the water inside of the carrots. (Note, this make take sometime, though much quicker than if you’ve ever made sauerkraut).
- Once you have released the water from the carrots place the carrots and water into a quart-sized mason jar.
- Pack the carrots into the mason jar so the water level is above the top of the carrots (you can use a cabbage leave to keep it down).
- Cover tightly and allow the carrots to sit at room temperature for 3 days before moving to the refrigerator.
*It is ideal to consumer at least 1/4 cup of fermented vegetables a day (preferably with breakfast) to aid in gut health & repair!
For more great ideas on fermenting check out Jill Ciciarelli’s new book Feremented!